William Byrnes' Tax, Wealth, and Risk Intelligence

William Byrnes (Texas A&M) tax & compliance articles

Getting Married – How Must I Include the IRS In My Wedding Plans?

Posted by William Byrnes on July 28, 2014

Why would a taxpayer want to include the IRS in his or her wedding plans?  Well, “its the law”.

No, the taxpayer does not need to send a wedding invitation to the closest IRS office.  But a 2014 marriage results in changes to the new married “couple’s” 2014 tax filing and possibly amount owed in tax for 2014.  Whether the couple will owe more in tax each year, including the year of marriage, over that of the combined amount of each individual’s tax due, depends on several factors, such as whether both spouses have income and how much that income is.  In general, a married couple, when both spouses are employed, pay more income tax than if they remained single and filed individual tax returns.  Also, the married couple may owe, and may owe more, of the additional 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax.

The IRS’ Summer Tax Tip 2014-2 reminds taxpayers that marriage has certain tax consequences from at least a filing persepctive.  These include:

Change in filing status.  If a couple is married before, or even on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:59pm, then for the whole year of 2014 for tax purposes the IRS considers the couple married. Thus, neither spouse may file an individual’s tax return any longer.  Instead, the married couple must choose to file your federal income tax return either jointly or separately (as a married couple) for 2014.

Same-sex married couples:  If the couple is legally married in a state or country that recognizes same-sex marriage, then the couple must file as married for the federal tax return. This is true even if you and your spouse later live in a state or country that does not recognize same-sex marriage.

Name change. The names and Social Security numbers listed on a tax return must match the Social Security Administration records. If a spouse changes the family name, then that name change must be reported to SSA.

Change tax withholding.  A change in marital status requires that a new Form W-4 for each spouse’s employer (Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate).  If it normal that when both spouse have income, the combined incomes moves each into a higher tax bracket for withholding at work.  Use the IRS Withholding Calculator tool to assist completing a new Form W-4.

Obama Care Premium Tax Credit changes in circumstances.  If a taxpayer took advantage of receiving the advance payment of the premium tax credit in 2014, then it is required to report changes in circumstances, such as changes in income, marriage, or family size, to the Health Insurance Marketplace.  Moreover, if one spouse will move out of the area covered of a current Marketplace plan, then that spouse must notify the Marketplace.

Address change for IRS letters.  A taxpayer has the responsibility to inform that IRS of an address changes.  To do that, file Form 8822, Change of Address, with the IRS.  Also, separately, the taxpayer should ask the U.S. Postal Service online at USPS.com to forward any mail sent to the former address.

2014_tf_on_individuals_small_businesses-m_1Due to a number of recent changes in the law, taxpayers are currently facing many questions connected to important issues such as healthcare, home office use, capital gains, investments, and whether an individual is considered an employee or a contractor. Financial advisors are continually looking for updated tax information that can help them provide the right answers to the right people at the right time. This book provides fast, clear, and authoritative answers to pressing questions, and it does so in the convenient, timesaving, Q&A format for which Tax Facts is famous.

Anyone interested can try Tax Facts on Individuals & Small Business, risk-free for 30 days, with a 100% guarantee of complete satisfaction.  For more information, please go to www.nationalunderwriter.com/TaxFactsIndividuals or call 1-800-543-0874.

One Response to “Getting Married – How Must I Include the IRS In My Wedding Plans?”

  1. Reblogged this on U.S. Persons Abroad – Members of a Unique Tax, Form and Penalty Club and commented:
    Yes and marriage is particularly problematic for Americans abroad – especially when an non-U.S. citizen (AKA Alien) becomes the spouse. For more on the “FBAR Marriage”:



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: