Posted by William Byrnes on March 7, 2016
Haven’t sat down with Kat in couple years (she’s the nation’s leading tax recruiter, all the big companies and Big 4 hiring partners know her), but she wrote this entertaining and highlydescriptive story yesterday to her 100,000 tax folks worldwide that leverage her tax recruitment site.
“… What I shall never forget was the experience that summer day in 2007 in an old dilapidated building. There I was sitting in a wobbly old chair to the right side of a scholarly, forward thinking tax law Professor sitting in front of a computer that looked like the very first “Lisa” computer that Steve Jobs built. Although it was probably not that one, it sure looked like it! The old computer had loose wires hooked up to another old computer with a video fixture added to the mix of wires and computer equipment. I sat there next to Professor Byrnes and experienced my very first distance course with students from Asia, South Africa, Brazil, Europe, U.S. and some other countries. It was fascinating to observe him teaching his tax students online from multiple countries. The experience in this old building with old computers hooked together with loose wires in what appeared to look like an old scientist experiment had me thinking privately… ”
From when I started in 1994 until recently, technology and education had been totally disconnected, so much so that I had to build my own computers and servers from parts I scavenged from the computer lab discarded machines, like old Gateways and IBMs, because faculty administration would not budget for technology build out for a professor. Anyway – blast from the past that I thought may be interesting to anyone in tax education.
Posted in Education Theory, Uncategorized | Tagged: online education, Online Tax Degree, tax, tax education | Leave a Comment »
Posted by William Byrnes on May 14, 2010
Professional Designation: American Academy of Financial Management
Exam preparation: International Tax Planning & Risk Management course
Topics: Treaty Structures, Transfer Pricing, Risk Score Cards, Offshore Strategies and Compliance amongst others – taught via case studies
Delivery: 40 hours of live lecture and case studies – audio headsets for web conferencing
Start: May 24 (Monday) – end August 13 (Friday)
When: New York 11am – 12:30 pm (Eastern Time)
Recordings: all lectures are made available within 1 hour on-demand
Contact: Prof. William Byrnes, Associate Dean – firstname.lastname@example.org +1 (619) 297-9700 x 6955
Materials: tuition includes full Westlaw, Lexis, CCH, IBFD, Checkpoint, Orbitax and 20 other professional databases
Accreditation: applies toward the Legum Magister (LL.M.), Juris Scientiae Magister (J.S.M), Scientiae Juridicae Doctor (JSD) of Thomas Jefferson School of Law (San Diego)
Posted in Courses, Teaching Opportunities, Uncategorized | Tagged: certification, certifications, Compliance, education, information exchange, international tax, offshore, Online Tax Degree, professional designations, risk management, tax, tax education, Taxation, Wealth Management | Leave a Comment »
Posted by William Byrnes on November 30, 2009
- ® CAM Chartered Asset Manager – Certification Course – ITX 604 International Financial Services with Expert Speaker – Dr. George Salis (Vertex)
- ® RFS Registered Financial Specialist Course – ITX 605 International Anti-Avoidance Legislation & Jurisprudence with Expert Speaker – Kithsri DeSilva (New Zealand Revenue)
- ® CITA Certified International Tax Analyst Course – ITX 608 European Union Taxation 3
- ® CWM Chartered Wealth Manager – ITX 613 Advanced Wealth Management – With Expert Speaker – George Mentz, JD, MBA, CWM (Chair, American Academy ® )
- ® CCA Chartered Compliance Analyst – Certification Course – ITX 616 Anti Money- Laundering and Compliance 2 – Expert Speaker – Dr. Robert J. Munro
- ® CAMC Certified Anti Money Laundering Consultant – Course – ITX 618 Financial Crimes & Security lead instructor Phillips Gay (CEO, National Assoc. Bank Security)
- ® CITA Certification International Tax – ITX 626 Advanced Income Tax (US) Expert Speaker – Robert Bloink, Esq. (prev. 7 years IRS Counsel)
- ® CAPA Certified Asset Protection Analyst Course – ITX 627 Civil Tax Procedure (US) Expert Speaker – Larry Fedro, Esq (prev. 37 years IRS Appeals Manager)
- ® CITA Certified International Tax Analyst Course – ITX 628 Corporation Tax (US) Expert Speaker – Hannah Bible J.D., LL.M.
- ® CTEP Chartered Trust and Estate Planner Certification – ITX 630 Estate & Gift (US) lead instructor Richard Duke, J.D., LL.M.
- ® CBA Chartered Bankruptcy Analyst Certification – ITX 638 Bankruptcy Procedure
- ® CBA Chartered Bankruptcy Analyst Certification – ITX 641 Bankruptcy Taxation, Accounting and Financial Reporting
- ® CIB Chartered International Banker – ITX 642 Law of Banking and Financial Institutions – Certified International Banker Programme
- ® CPM Chartered Portfolio Manager – ITX 643 Equity Investments and Strategies lead instructor Stephen Polak, MSA, CPA/PFS, CFE, CFF (25 years IRS LMSB)
- ® CLA Chartered Loan Analyst – ITX 644 Loan Workouts, Debt Collection and Foreclosure
- ® AAPM – CPC Certified Project Consultant – ITX PM – Contingent upon demand/enrollment – Experts C. Thong & Mentz. Contracts & Scope
Collaboration each course is 42 lecture hours webcam-online for with showing and sharing of applications – recorded for on-demand viewing. Global network built amongst students, faculty, and returning alumni.
Knowledge & Efficiency Stand out from peers with full access and training on the industry tax and financial services databases, Westlaw and Lexis, CCH, Checkpoint, IBFD, Tax Analysts, BNA, Westlaw Business, Westlaw China, Complinet, and Butterworths, amongst the others.
Technology Confidence with planning and compliance software such as Orbitax, CCH compliance, Compliance Resource Network, and tax risk management enterprise systems e.g. Vertex.
Posted in Courses, Teaching Opportunities | Tagged: certifications, international tax, law, Online Tax Degree, tax, tax education, Wealth Management | Leave a Comment »